Thanksgiving is an absolute favorite holiday for many. There’s no stress of gift-giving, lots of fantastic food, no-shame afternoon naps, remembering all the things we are thankful for, and special time with loved ones. Thanksgiving is the perfect kickoff to the holiday season and here are some ideas of how to spend your time to keep it stress-free and memorable. Happy Thanksgiving!
1. Take Time for Giving Thanks
- Write out a good old-fashioned gratitude list.
- Go around the table and tell what you’re thankful for.
- Invite a neighbor or someone special for dinner.
- Spend a few minutes in prayer or meditation thinking on what you’re grateful for.
- Hand write a note thanking a few people who have impacted your life.
- Get physical – Don’t underestimate the power of a hug and kiss to show you care.
- Schedule a time to truly unplug and be present with your friends and family.
2. Get Outdoors
- Sign up for a Turkey Trot with your family. Remember, you don’t have to be a track star; many races encourage walking which is a fun way to spend your time with loved ones conversing.
- Take a family/friends nature walk or hike.
- If you live in a warmer climate, consider an al-fresco Thanksgiving meal.
- Play a game of backyard football or bocci ball.
- Set up a backyard bon fire complete with S’mores.
3. Enjoy Seasonal Cocktails & Drinks
Thanksgiving is a great time to pair fantastic wines with your dinner. We like to take this time to enjoy some more special wines. Making a seasonal cocktail is equally as festive and enjoyable. Here are some simple yet delicious ideas:
4. Watch TV or Classic Movies Together
Obviously there is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, Hallmark movies, and endless football games but don’t be ashamed to nurse the food coma with a relaxing holiday movie. Here are some classics:
- Uncle Buck
- A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
- Home Alone
- The Big Chill
- Hannah and Her Sisters
- Grumpy Old Men
- Home For the Holidays
- You’ve Got Mail
- What’s Cooking
5. Enjoy Family Activities
We already mentioned getting outside or watching the game together but here are some other fun stress-free activities to enjoy together.
- Buy and decorate your Christmas tree together. It’s fun to reminisce as you hang lights and ornaments. Put that Christmas music on and pour a hot cup of tea or cocoa.
- Cook together (Duh!) Making family recipes with your actual family is the best. Get that music playing, drinks flowing, kids involved, and the laughter rolling!
- Play board games like Scrabble, Cards, Monopoly, or Operation.
- If the group is up to it, visit a hospital or nursing home or volunteer at a shelter.
- Complete a crossword puzzle as a group.
We Get to Know is a media company specializing in PODCAST creation, original & shared content, and short form interviews. We are interviewing your favorite creatives, innovators, business owners, influencers and bloggers from a variety of industries. As always, we welcome your comments and guest recommendations.